Appendix 3 Section B
New Zealand Temple
Significant steps forward in temple building came in 1958 when in that one year, two new temples in opposite parts of the world were completed and dedicated by President David O. McKay.
The first was the New Zealand Temple at Hamilton, which was dedicated on April 20, 1958. The second was the London Temple in Great Britain which will be described later.
Missionary work among the Polynesians in the South Pacific had begun in 1851, and many had traveled the long distances to the hawaii Temple since its dedication in 1919. However, these people mostly of humble means found it increasingly difficult to travel to Hawaii, and so in 1954 their pleas were honored by the First Presidency who announced that somewhere in the South pacific an additional temple would be constructed.
Location of a site was a difficult decision, but President McKay made a personal trip through the South pacific in January and February of 1955 visiting many areas and bringing hope and inspiration to many members of the Church who had never before seen their Prophet.
After his return, President McKay recommended to the Council of the Twelve that the temple be built at Hamilton, New Zealand, where a Church college was already under construction, and where the spiritual and educational atmosphere seemed ideal. Work went forward immediately, and many faithful saints gave much in time and means to complete the edifice for dedication by President David O. McKay beginning April 20, 1958.
Two dedicatory sessions were held each day for three days. Following the temple dedication President McKay also dedicated the seven-million-dollar Church college nearby.
The second temple to be dedicated by President David O. McKay i in 1958 was the imposing structure at Newchapel Farm, Lingfield, England, some 26 miles south of London. This was the fourth temple to be dedicated by President McKay as President of the Church.
Negotiations for the temple site had begun in the early 1950’s and President McKay inspected the proposed spot during his tour of missions in 1952. The property, a 32-acre estate known as Newchapel Farm, was purchased in 1953, and dedicated as a temple site by President McKay on August 10, 1953. While he was in Europe for the Swiss Temple dedication, President McKay returned to England and officiated at the groundbreaking services on August 27, 1955. The cornerstone was laid on May 11, 1957 by Elder Richard L. Evans of the Council of the Twelve. Completion of the construction came in mid-1958, and plans were made for open-house tours of the building starting August 16, 1958. Officials had anticipated that perhaps 50,000 visitors might come, but when more than 80,000 came, the viewing dates had to be extended from August 30 to September 3. The first of the dedicatory sessions was held Sunday, September 7, and continued twice daily with some 12,000 persons participating.
In this 92nd year, President David O. McKay presided at the dedication of the Oakland, California Temple, exhibiting faith and vigor far beyond the expectation of his years.
President McKay’s interest in the Oakland Temple dated back to 1934 when he visited the site as one of the general authorities. He recommended purchase of the temple site in 1942. Site dedication and groundbreaking took place May 26, 1962, with President McKay again participating. The cornerstone was laid Saturday, May 25, 1963, by President Joseph Fielding Smith of the Council of the Twelve, President McKay dedicated the temple on November 17, 18 and 19, 1964.
The Ogden Temple in Weber Country, Utah, was dedicated in six sessions January 18, 19, and 20, 1972, under the direction of President Joseph Fielding Smith. Services were held in the Celestial Room, with closed-circuit television to other areas of the temple and nearby Ogden Tabernacle. The temple is on the same block as the tabernacle in downtown Ogden, Utah’s second most populous city. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held September 8, 1969, and the cornerstone was laid September 7, 1970.
Dedicatory services for the Provo (Utah) Temple were held February 9, 1972 at 2 and 7 p.m. The services, held in the Celestial Room, were televised by closed circuit to other areas of the temple as well as the 22,000-seat Marriott Special Events Center and other locations on the Brigham Young University campus. More than 70,000 persons attended, in the single largest temple dedication meetings in the history of the Church. President Joseph Fielding Smith presided; the dedicatory prayer was read, at his request, by President Harold B. Lee, first counselor in the First Presidency. Groundbreaking ceremonies were held September 15, 1969, and the cornerstone was laid May 21, 1971.
The Washington Temple, built in Kensington, Maryland, in a heavily wooded area not far from the U.S. capital, is the sixteenth temple of the Church. The architectural design follows the spired concept of the Salt Lake Temple. President David O. McKay announced plans for the temple November 15, 1968; President Hugh B. Brown of the First Presidency dedicated the site in December 1968. Ten dedication services were held November 19, 21, and 22, 1974, under the direction of President Spencer W. Kimball. The Washington Temple district covers most of the eastern half of the U.S. and eastern Canada.
Sao Paulo Brazil Temple
At an area general conference in South America in February and March 1975, President Spencer W. Kimball announced plans for a temple in Sao Paulo, Brazil, to be built on a 1.5-acre site previously purchased by the Church. He noted the steady growth of the Church in South America; as of 1975 there were approximately 140,000 members there, with more than 40,000 of them in Brazil. Membership in South America had increased almost 500 percent in the past decade.
Tokyo Japan Temple
On August 9, 1975, at an area general conference in Tokyo, Japan, President Spencer W. Kimball announced plans for a temple to be built there, to serve the more than 65,000 members in Asia. It will be built on a half-acre site now occupied by mission offices in the Minato-Ku section of the city.
Seattle Washington Temple
Announcement was made in late 1975 that a temple will be built in Seattle, Washington, to serve some 170,000 members in Washington, Oregon, northern Idaho, Alaska, and British Columbia. Construction is expected to begin in late 1976 and to be completed sometime in 1978.
Mexico City Temple
On April 3, 1976, plans were announced for a temple to be built in Mexico City. The structure, to be completed in about three years, will feature a modern adaptation of Mayan architectural styles.