Seattle Washington Mormon Temple
Plans to build a Mormon temple in Seattle, Washington, were announced on May 27, 1978. With its completion the Seattle Temple became the 19th operating Mormon temple worldwide.
Mormon history in the area goes back to 1854, when Mormon members came to work on the railroads. A few Mormon missionaries were also sent to the area. During these early years, members of the Church faced intense persecution, and missionary work was slow. The first stake was created in 1938 and membership grew rapidly in the area. In 1960 there were 11,000 members in Washington, by 1970 there were 67,000, and by 1980 there were 138,000. Today there are more than a quarter of a million members of the Church in Washington.
A groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication were held on May 27, 1978. Marion G. Romney presided at the ceremony and dedication. The temple site is 23.5 acres near Bellevue Airfield. Because of its proximity to the airfield, the height of the spire was reduced and a red warning light was installed under the angel Moroni statue, but the airfield closed in 1983, and the light was removed.
The Mormon temple was open to the public for tours October 7- November 8, 1980. Those who took the tours of the 110,000 square foot temple were able to see the four ordinance rooms, twelve sealing rooms, celestial room, baptistry, and to learn more about Mormon beliefs associated with the temple.
Spencer W. Kimball, President of the Church at the time, dedicated the Seattle temple in multiple sessions held November 17th through the 21st, 1980. The Seattle temple serves members in western Washington and British Columbia.
2808 148th Ave SE
Bellevue, Washington 98007-6453