Calgary Alberta Mormon Temple
On 4 October 2008 The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon Church) announced that a new temple will be built in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. The new temple was announced to be located at the northeast corner of Royal Oak Rd NW and Rocky Ridge Rd NW, Calgary, on a site purchased by the Church about four years ago. There are over 18,000 members of the Church in Calgary.
The Tuscany/Royal Oak train station is within walking distance of the temple and was completed in 2011, about the same time as the temple was due to be completed. The Calgary Alberta Temple is Canada’s eighth temple and Alberta’s third. The temple’s address is 9802 Rocky Ridge Road NW, Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
Mormons first began to settle in southern Alberta in the 1880s as contract workers on the Canadian Pacific Railroad and as farmers in present-day Cardston. By 1895, the first stake in Alberta was established, and membership in the Church has continued to thrive ever since. Today there are over 75,000 members throughout the province (LDS Newsroom, Oct, 2008).
The groundbreaking for the temple was held on May 15, 2010.
A temple open house was scheduled wherein community leaders and the general public had an opportunity to tour a Mormon temple and receive explanations of how it is used for worship and as a house of God. The open house was scheduled for 29 September through 20 October 2012, excluding Sundays and Saturday, 6 October.
The temple was formally dedicated on Sunday, 28 October 2012, in three sessions by Thomas S. Monson, prophet and president of the Church. In conjunction with the dedication of the temple, there was also a cultural celebration featuring music and dance on Saturday, 27 October 2012.