Twin Falls Mormon Temple 20 June 2007
With its completion, the temple is now the fourth Mormon temple in Idaho and will serve more than 50,000 members in 14 stakes.
On November 8, 2005, the Twin Falls Planning and Zoning Commission approved the permits needed to go forward with the building of the temple. A special permit was given which allows the temple to exceed the city’s 35-foot maximum height limit. The design for the temple was unveiled on October 6, 2005, at a press conference. The temple design is inspired by the nearby Shoshone Falls, and the temple comprises 27,850 square feet and is 159 feet tall. On the 9.1 acre site, there is also a new stake center, gardens, and a parking lot able to hold 300 cars.
A groundbreaking ceremony and site dedication were held on April 15, 2006, and were presided over by Elder Neil L. Anderson of the Presidency of the Seventy. The event was by invitation only, because of limited space at the temple site, but the entire event was taped and played at meetinghouses throughout the area that same evening so that others could also participate.
Open house and dedication
The Twin Falls Temple was dedicated on Sunday, August 24, 2008, in four dedicatory sessions. A cultural celebration featuring music and dance was held at the Twin Falls County Fairgrounds in Filer and took place the evening before. The temple was open for open house tours starting Friday, July 11th and ending August 16th except for Sundays. Retired Burley Dairy Farmer and former member of the Second Quorum of the Seventy D. Rex Gerratt will serve as the temple’s first president. It is estimated that close to 160,000 people toured the temple. It opened for ordinance work immediatly following the dedication.
1405 EASTLAND DR NORTH
TWIN FALLS ID 83301
1349 Smith Circle South
Twin Falls, Idaho 83301-5288