Idaho Falls Mormon Temple
The Idaho Falls Idaho Mormon Temple is the eighth Temple to be built by the Mormon Church. Located on the banks of the Snake River, the Mormon Temple is surrounded by three ponds which continuously flow from one to the other and which create three beautiful waterfalls. In addition, more than sixteen hundred pine trees adorn the landscape, creating a scene of tranquility for those who pass by and those who enter the sacred doors of the temple. This temple serves as a centerpiece for the city of Idaho Falls with its exterior constructed of white quartz aggregate and white cement, which reflect light.
The area surrounding the Idaho Falls Temple is rich in pioneer heritage; many members of the Mormon Church were asked to settle in this harsh and barren prairie. Then president Wilford Woodruff in 1884, encouraged the members to ‘…not be discouraged; be not disheartened [in your endeavors], because Gods’ blessing is upon this land…the time will come when the Basin and the inhabitants will prosper and develop into a strong community…’1
Mormon history tells us that in 1939 when the construction of the temple began, an eighteen-foot excavation was prepared. As the workers proceeded to that depth, the workers came upon a bed of lava rock, which provided a solid foundation for the temple.
As construction began, the Church approached a cement products company located in Salt Lake City and asked if they could provide the materials needed to build the Idaho Falls Temple. The Buehner family eagerly accepted, knowing that years earlier Brother Buehner received direction in his patriarchal blessing stating that, ‘he and his sons would help erect temples of this Church’. In the years that followed, the Buehner family assisted in the construction of five additional temples.
The exterior of the temple was completed in September of 1941, and the interior was expected to be completed the following year. However, World War II shortages, delayed the completion of the Temple for four more years. In spite of delays, Mormon Prophet, President George Albert Smith, dedicated the temple just one month after the war ended.
The blessings of the Temple cannot be gained anywhere else on earth. The Idaho Falls Temple symbolizes the spiritual foundation of the community, rich in Mormon pioneer heritage and devoted to creating eternal families.
1000 Memorial Drive
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402-3497
For more information on Mormon Temples or the Mormon Church please see the following websites:
1 “Temples to Dot the Earth”, Cowan, 1989