Copenhagen Denmark Mormon Temple
The building of the Copenhagen Denmark Mormon Temple was announced on March 17, 1999. On April 24, 1999 the site for the temple was dedicated and a groundbreaking ceremony was held. About 700 Mormons from the area were at the ceremony.
The Copenhagen Denmark Temple is a renovation of an existing building, the Priorvej Chapel. This chapel was built by Mormon members in 1931 and dedicated by Elder John A. Widtsoe, a member of the Twelve Apostles at the time. It was built in the Neo-classical style with columns in the front.
This building has had a long and interesting history. The day that the chapel was dedicated, June 14, was the eighty-first anniversary of the day that the first Mormon missionaries arrived in Denmark. During World War II, the chapel was used as a bomb shelter, and it luckily made it through the war with little damage. After World War II the chapel was remodeled to hold more classrooms for the growing membership. Compared with many other countries, growth of the Church in Denmark seems a little slow, but the lower population of members in Denmark may mostly be because so many of the early members emigrated to Utah, and others moved to one of the countries with which Denmark has strong ties. However, the membership of 4,500 is strong and faithful.
Many Mormon members in the area feel a very strong connection to the chapel that has now become a Mormon temple. Ole Ravn-Petersen was baptized into the Mormon Church when he was 16. His baptism took place in the Priorvej Chapel and later, he baptized his father in the building. For Ole Ravn-Petersen, having the building become a temple made the place even more special. Most of the renovation of the building was done on the inside. The Church wanted to keep the outside looking as it did originally.
April 29-May 15, 2004, an open house was held to let people see the inside of the temple. More than 25,000 people took a tour through the temple during that time. The dedication of the temple was held on Sunday May 23, 2004. More than 4,000 members attended the dedication, which was held four times throughout the day. President Gordon B. Hinckley gave the dedicatory prayer and Elder Russell M. Nelson also spoke.
Priorvej 11, 4F
Phone: (45) 38-18-1818