Manti Utah Mormon Temple
The Manti Utah Temple is the fifth constructed temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Located in the city of Manti, Utah, it was the third Mormon temple built in the Rocky Mountains (after the St. George and Logan Utah temples).
The Manti Utah Temple is built on 27 acres of land and its exterior is of fine-textured, cream-colored oolite limestone obtained from quarries in the hill upon which it stands. The design is based on castellated style, having influences of Gothic Revival, French Renaissance Revival, and French Second Empire and colonial architecture.
In this temple there are eight sealing rooms and four progressive-style ordinance rooms. This means that patrons of the temple move from room to room during the endowment session, as representations of progression from the Garden of Eden, to the “Lone and Dreary World,” to heavenly realms. The total floor area is 100,373 square feet.
The Manti temple was announced on 25 June 1875, and the groundbreaking and site dedication were performed on 25 April 1877, by President Brigham Young. The first private dedication was done on 17 May 1888, by President Wilford Woodruff, followed by the official dedication on 21–23 May 1888, by President Lorenzo Snow. The temple was finally rededicated after extensive remodeling on 14–16 June 1985, by President Gordon B. Hinckley.
Situated atop a rising knoll, known as Temple Hill, the great Manti Utah Temple dominates the Sanpete Valley of central Utah. Thousands of people come every year to the spacious temple grounds to watch the popular Mormon Miracle Pageant.
On the morning of the site dedication, Brigham Young confided to Warren S. Snow that Temple Hill was the spot where Book of Mormon Prophet Moroni dedicated the land for a temple site.
The Manti Utah Temple is the oldest Mormon temple that has retained original mural paintings on the walls of its endowment rooms—a tradition started with the St. George Utah Temple.
During the construction of the Salt Lake Temple from 1853-1893, the Manti Utah Temple was the location of the Holy of Holies for the Church, though that is now found in the Salt Lake Temple.
The Manti Temple has undergone various remodeling and renovations. In 1981 it was decided that the interior of the temple needed to be extensively remodeled. Renovation took four years, murals and original furniture were restored, offices were enlarged and remodeled, a separate door was added to the baptistry, water and weather damage was repaired, an elevator was installed, and locker rooms were improved, among many other projects. In June of 1985, Gordon B. Hinckley directed the rededication ceremonies.
Manti, UT 84642
P.O. Box 280
Manti, Utah 84642-0280