Billings Montana Mormon Temple
Before the Billings Montana Temple was built, members of the Mormon Church had to drive six to eight hours, depending on the weather, to go to the temple. When the Billings Montana Temple was announced in August 1996, Latter-day Saints in the area rejoiced.
About 4,800 people gathered during a spring snowstorm to witness the groundbreaking of the Billings Montana Temple. During the groundbreaking, a choir of 700 youth sang. Before the temple was dedicated, it was open to the public, and visitors were encouraged to walk through, enjoy the artwork of Christ, and learn about what takes place in a temple. Contrary to what many believe, Mormon temples are not secret, but sacred.
Eight dedicatory sessions were held to accommodate all of the members of the area on 20-21st of November 1999. President Gordon B. Hinckley said in his dedicatory prayer of the Billings Montana Temple,
“Bless those who have worked so long and diligently in the face of opposition to obtain the necessary permits and to erect this sacred temple. May a glad acceptance now prevail concerning it, even a sense of gratitude for its presence. We pray that this area, in fact this whole city, may feel the Spirit that emanates from this hallowed structure.” 1
The Billings Montana Temple sits on a hillside in front of 300-foot high red Rimrock cliffs. The single spire rises from a tiered tower. Stained-glass windows dominate the west end. Inside a clear skylight allows patrons to glimpse the angel Moroni atop the spire. The exterior features Wyoming white dolomite with tan sandstone finish. The temple is used by the 36,000 members in Montana and northern Wyoming. It has a total floor area of 33,800 square feet, two ordinance rooms, and three sealing rooms.
3100 Rim Point Drive
Billings, Montana 59106-1386